TOWN OF FOWLER HISTORIAN
The Historian’s Office is located upstairs in the Fowler Town Hall. Historian Karen Simmons is in the office on Thursdays from 1-4PM or any time by appointment by calling (315) 287-4753 or the Town Clerk at (315) 287-0045.
There are scrapbooks with articles about people and happenings in and around Fowler, articles on the zinc and talc industries, and pictures of some of the students that attended Fowler Elementary School. Come browse and check it out.
Fowler began in 1816, when it was formed from parts of the towns of Rossie and Russell, NY. It was named for Theodosius Fowler (1753–1841), a captain in the American Revolution and a local landowner. In 1827 part of Fowler was transferred to the Town of Edwards. Fowler lost more area to Pitcairn, New York in 1836. By 1870 the population of Fowler was 1,785.
The Historian’s office is open on Thursdays from 1 – 4 PM or any time by appointment. Call the Town Hall for information. The Historian’s Office is located upstairs in the Fowler Town Hall. Historian Karen Simmons is in the office on Thursdays from 1-4PM or any time by appointment by calling (315) 287-4753 or the Town Clerk at (315) 287-0045.
The family of the late Marjorie Farr donated several of her scrapbooks to us this past year. It was a great addition to our scrap book collection. Other people adding to the History of Fowler this past year were Mrs. Elaine Boney and Mrs. Darlene Cole.
The following passage is from Pages from the Sketch Book of a Town Historian: Fowler 1807-1957, compiled by Helen Scott Cunningham.
The early story of the Town of Fowler does not open solely with the usual pioneer picture of stern-faced men and nervous-eyed women with a few children and chickens, blankets and pots in a cumbersome wagon being dragged through trackless forests and unbridged streams to find a site where they could fell some trees and hew out a rude cabin.
Instead Fowler’s beginnings were marked by romance as well as adventure, wealth as well as a struggle for existence, a mansion alongside a shanty. The traditional ox-cart may have arrived too, as settlers from Vermont and the Mohawk valley trickled in seeking a home and livelihood in the abundant forests and from the rich soil of this newly opened land of Killarney.
This region, along with its neighboring towns, seems to have been a debatable ground between the Iroquois Confederacy and the Huron and Algonquian Nations of Canada and was probably never occupied for any considerable time by either. It was common hunting and fishing ground but extremely dangerous to either party for the two confederacies were ever at war with each other and bloody encounters were sure to follow should two rival hunting parties meet.
So when in the division of the Great Tract, so called, near the turn of the century, Killarney (or Township No. 7) fell to the share of Robert Gilchrist and Theodosius Fowler, the history of the Town of Fowler begins.
Search the Website
Enter your search term:
The North Country Housing Council is accepting ongoing applications from current home owners who are looking for home rehabilitation assistance.
© Town of Fowler, NY
Text, graphics, and HTML code are protected by US and International Copyright Laws, and may not be copied, reprinted, published, translated, hosted, or otherwise distributed by any means without explicit permission.